Congress calls for CBI inquiry into cross desecration cases in Goa
Goa Congress asked for a CBI inquiry into a series of cross desecration happening in the state since the last one month after 12 gravestones were vandalised in Marcaim village of North Goa on Tuesday.
Goa police had arrested 53-year-old Francis Pereira on July 14 following the spate of desecration of religious symbols or structures such as holy crosses and gravestones.
It was reported then that Periera had confessed to the crime and said he had been desecrating religious shrines since the last 10 years.
“The police was always very confident that he was the culprit. How can the act be done again if he is behind the bars. We suspect major foul play in the series of desecration which have been happening in Goa since the last one month,” said Shantaram Naik, state president Congress.
Naik added, “I have drafted a letter requesting for a CBI inquiry as we feel that the local police is incapable of handling this issue.”
However chief minister Manohar Parrikar assured the legislative assembly on Wednesday that the culprit in Marcaim incident will be arrested soon. Parrikar said Pereira’s acts might have inspired someone else.
“We cannot stop anyone from taking inspiration from someone,” Parrikar said. He (Pereira) has shown 146 places which he desecrated. He has also said (told the investigators) he was not involved in the incident at Marcaim,” said Parrikar.
“Police have registered an FIR. They have got some definite clues....Give them three-four days and they will arrest the culprit,” the chief minister said.
The fact finding report by the church soon after Periera was caught had also requested for a judicial inquiry stating the arrest was nothing but an attempt to pacify the Christian community.
Father Savio Fernandes had said in the report, “We do not believe that a man who is more than 50 years of age can damage so many crosses. It is the job of an organised group who wish to disrupt the communal harmony existing in the state.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Lon Varratu drive was launched in June 2020, and till now, 272 Maoists, including senior cadres, have surrendered in Dantewada district.