Delhi-NCR experienced 13 mild earthquakes in 2020: Govt data
While the tremors felt late on Friday night was the first massive jolt in Delhi and NCR in 2021, government data shows the year 2020 was full of mild earthquakes for the National Capital Region. According to the ministry of earth sciences, a total of 964 earthquakes of magnitude 3 and above were recorded last year and 13 of them were in the Capital Region and its vicinity.
Earth Sciences minister Dr Harshh Vardhan recently informed the Lok Sabha that the ministry is exploring possibilities to take up a pilot study on earthquake early-warning system in collaboration with the United States Geological Survey.
Late on Friday night, an earthquake of 6.3 magnitude was felt across northwest India, including Delhi. The epicentre was in Tajikistan. Apart from Delhi, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and Rajasthan felt strong tremors on Friday night.
Between April and August in 2020, the National Capital Region recorded four minor earthquakes — the epicentres being in the region only. On April 12, the first tremor of 2020 was felt on the northeastern boundary of Delhi. The second earthquake took place on May 10.
The region faces seismic hazards as it lies close to a faultline and following the minor earthquakes in 2020, the National Centre for Seismology started a geophysical survey of the region.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BJP MLAs supported the bill and called it a gift for women on the occasion of Women’s Day
- The technology requires telecoms companies to scrub messages to verify if the text being sent has been approved and it is only being sent to someone who has consented to receive such a message.
- Throughout the day, women protesters organised marches at the sites while wearing yellow, green scarves
- Responding to HT on Monday, CPWD denied all allegations that the waste from the Central Vista construction site was being dumped on the floodplains.
- Two women officers each have been assigned duties aboard INS Vikramaditya and INS Shakti.
- The fire had broken out at the 13th floor of the Eastern Railway’s office in the evening.
- The apex court framed this as one among the several questions to be decided while considering the constitutional validity of a 2018 Maharashtra law.
- The tragedy reportedly took place when an excavator was digging a drain near the boundary wall of the school.
- The Iranian embassy said it "strongly repudiates any unsubstantiated allegations or irresponsible comments in this regard and considers them as steps towards realising the sinister intentions of the enemies of Iran-India relations”.
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration during a verification drive on Saturday sent 169 illegal immigrant Rohingyas to a ‘holding centre’ after they were found without valid travel documents.