Hope India-US defence ties conducive to regional peace, says China
China hopes that the military cooperation between India and the US will be conducive to regional peace and stability and not the opposite, Chinese defence ministry said on Thursday.
Asked about India and the US firming up close defence ties during the recent visit of US defence secretary James Mattis, Chinese defence ministry spokesman Col Wu Qian said China had noted the reports in this regard.
Mattis visited India from September 26-27 and held high- level bilateral talks.
“We hope that the military cooperation between India and the US will be conducive to regional peace and stability but not the opposite,” he said.
China has a kept close watch on Mattis’ visit, which comes in the backdrop of New Delhi and Washington steadily stepping up defence ties.
The US has offered to jointly manufacture F-16 fighter jets and has approved the sale of Guardian drones to India for long surveillance missions in the Indian Ocean where Chinese ships and submarines are increasing their presence.
Both India and the US also announced close cooperation in the Indo-Pacific regions.
Meanwhile, an article in the state-run Global Times today said peace is paramount for the growth of China-India ties.
“Peace is paramount for the growth of China-India relations, despite the border war in 1962 and standoffs that came close to military clashes in 1987 and 2017,” the article said.
The two countries have reached a consensus that military approach is not the best option for tackling territorial disputes and goes against mutual interests, it said.
“China-India ties are intertwined in strategic competition due to geographic factor and national strength,” the article said, advocating restraint between the two in handling their rivalry.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Some leaders and political experts even described Modi’s visit as an exercise to woo Bengali voters on whom Bose’s ideology has great influence even after 76 years of his mysterious disappearance.
- With the scheme, nearly 5 million CAPF personnel and their families can avail cashless medical treatment.
- The scheme aims at reduction in livelihood vulnerabilities of the urban poor including migrant labourers and informal workers.
- Presently, over 5,000 cases are pending with the Tribunal of which the bulk of matters arise out of proceedings under PMLA.
- Gandhi is on a tour of the western belt where he will next visit Erode, Tiruppur, Karur and Dindigul districts to meet farmers, weavers and youngsters.
- This Goa-Agra-Delhi flight was earlier expected to begin on January 16 but was rescheduled for January 23. The plane halted for 35 minutes and then flew for Delhi at 12.15 pm with four passengers.