In Photos: Protesting farmers break barricades, deviate from tractor rally route
Farmers, holding a tractor rally in Delhi against the three agricultural laws enacted by the government in September last year, started marching towards the national capital from various borders they were camping at much before the scheduled rally time allotted to them by the police.
Follow latest updates on farmers protest here
Delhi Police had on Sunday given permission to the farmers to hold their rally and they had reached a consensus on carrying the march at specified locations near the three borders. However, groups of farmers on Tuesday deviated from the route and broke barricades when they were asked to stop.
Clashes between the police and farmers broke out on the roads of Delhi with farmers coming in from the Singhu, Ghazipur and Tikri borders of the Capital. One farmer, riding on a horse, even threatened the paramilitary personnel with a sword while the police fired multiple rounds of tear gas to control the crowd.
Here’s a look at the farmers’ protest in photos:
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Shiv Sena's mouthpiece Saamana asked what was the need to revisit the same topic again and again when it has become obsolete.
- India is behind only the United States and the United Kingdom in terms of the total number of people receiving vaccination, data from the health ministry shows.
- Parliament officials said that the government managers as well as many opposition leaders have requested Rajya Sabha chairman Venkaiah Naidu and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla to cut short the session as leaders of many parties would be busy in the campaign for the polls.
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration is also collecting biometric and other details of Rohingyas staying in the union territory.
- Among those waiting at the weighing scale are also people who do not own land but are engaged in transporting sugarcane from farms to sugar mills after getting the yield measures at weighing scales.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- In January, the Supreme Court dismissed pleas of the Uttar Pradesh government challenging the bail granted to Samajwadi Party MP Azam Khan, his wife Dr Tanzeen Fathima, and son Abdullah Azam Khan in an alleged case of forging birth certificate.
- An associate of the judicial magistrate allegedly demanded and accepted a bribe on her behalf for dismissing a criminal complaint against a milk vendor.