Nagaland chief secretary Temjen Toy dies after battle with cancer
Nagaland chief secretary Tali Temjen Toy passed away in Kohima on Thursday after a long battle with cancer. He was 57.
Toy was diagnosed with cancer last year during the peak of the Covid-19 pandemic and had undergone treatment in New Delhi and later in New York. He recently returned to Nagaland, family sources said.
The top ranking administrator served the state government in various capacities and took over as chief secretary in 2018.
He was the first among Nagas to crack the Common Admission Test (CAT), the entrance examination for admission into the country's premier business schools, and was admitted to IIM Calcutta in the 1980s. He was also an alumnus of St. Xavier's College in Mumbai.
Describing the late bureaucrat as a "humble, upright and dedicated government servant", chief minister Neiphiu Rio said his demise is a huge loss for the government of Nagaland and for the Nagas as a whole.
"We lost an able administrator and one of the finest human being! May his soul rest in peace. May God give strength to family to bear with this devastating tragedy," Governor RN Ravi tweeted.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- On October 29 last year, the top court had stayed a direction passed on October 20 by the Delhi High Court directing 2,318 undertrial prisoners to surrender in a phased manner.
- Deputy leader of the Congress in the Rajya Sabha, Anand Sharma, accused the party’s Bengal president and Lok Sabha member Adhir Ranjan Chowdury of diluting the party’s core ideology and the secularism by allying with Abbasuddin Siddiqui’s Indian Secular Front (ISF).
- This will be the first of the many public meetings Adityanath is scheduled to address in Bengal where the BJP is looking to unseat the led TMC.
- "Toll collection through electronic tolling has reached 93 per cent during the last fortnight after the FASTag was made mandatory," Gadkari said.
- The senior citizen said he would return on Tuesday with his wife on Tuesday o she could be administered her vaccine.
- The AAP has already announced it would contest the 2022 Uttar Pradesh assembly.