News updates from Hindustan Times: Post Diwali Delhi’s air quality remains ‘severe’, may improve later today and all the latest news
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion at 9 AM. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
Delhi’s air quality remains in ‘severe’ zone post Diwali, likely to improve later today
A night of cracker bursting, pushed Delhi’s air quality further into the ‘severe’ zone, touching 468 at 7am on Sunday. Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) data showed that from around 3 pm on Saturday, the air quality in Delhi entered the ‘severe’ zone and continued to deteriorate throughout the evening. Read more
Nitish Kumar on wafer-thin majority, won’t last long as CM, says RJD’s Manoj Jha
Janata Dal (United) chief Nitish Kumar is on a wafer-thin majority in Bihar “managed” by the Bharatiya Janata Party, said senior Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leader Manoj Jha on Saturday adding his government won’t last long. Read more
We can’t waste time,’ says Trump after threatening to withhold Covid-19 vaccine to New York
Outgoing US President Donald Trump on Saturday said any other administration would have taken five years to produce a vaccine against Covid-19, while his administration ensured a ‘great and safe vaccine far ahead of the schedule’. “Many lives to be saved, but we are ready when they are. Stop playing politics!” he tweeted amid the ongoing vaccine face-off with New York. Read more
BJP leader Kailash Sarang dies, PM Modi ‘anguished’ by his demise
Senior Madhya Pradesh BJP leader Kailash Sarang died on Saturday at a hospital in Mumbai, his son and a minister in the Madhya Pradesh government Vishwas Sarang said. The 85-year-old leader was suffering from age-related ailments and had been admitted to a hospital in Mumbai 12 days ago. Read more
Sonam Kapoor talks about sexism in Bollywood films, says ‘each one of us needs to make better choices’
Sonam Kapoor, who has been highlighting the contributions of women in the film industry with her #WomenInFilm series on Instagram, talked about sexism in Bollywood. In a new interview, Sonam said that even now, it is believed that female actors need to act and dress in a certain way. She added that women need to take a stand for themselves and ‘make better choices’. Read more
Bigg Boss 14: When Kavita Kaushik got emotional remembering her dad’s struggle with cancer
Actor Kavita Kaushik, who is currently inside the Bigg Boss 14 house, was seen getting emotional while remembering her father and his last words. She was seen talking in a “special masala video” aired for the show’s fans. Read more
‘He will go down as one of India’s greatest across formats’: Jason Gillespie predicts big things for India fast bowler
India have reached Australia for the upcoming series which begins with the first T20I taking place on November 27th. One of the biggest factors that make the current Indian team a tough opposition to deal with is the fast-bowling attack that skipper Virat Kohli has nourished under him comprising Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Navdeep Saini, Umesh Yadav, Shardul Thakur, Deepak Chahar, among many others. Read more
Reporter escapes bridge collapse by mere seconds. Watch shocking clip
The job of reporting an incident is definitely not an easy one. And reporting stuff during any natural calamity is way harder and dangerous too. This reporter’s close save from a major injury during a live telecast is an apt example of how tough the job is. After watching the video you may find yourself gasping in shock. Watch here
Diwali: Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Kamala Harris, Boris Johnson extend wishes
US president-elect Joe Biden extended wishes on the occasion of Diwali. Biden took to Twitter saying, “To the millions of Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, and Buddhists celebrating the Festival of Lights, @DrBiden and I send our best wishes for a #HappyDiwali. May your new year be filled with hope, happiness, and prosperity.” US president Donald Trump also wished everyone on Diwali. Trump posted an image from his twitter with a ‘Happy Diwali’ message. Watch here
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The parliament canteen, now run by ITDC will offer as many as 58 items, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian, from January 27.
- Union minister for culture and tourism Prahlad Patel said government is addressing the lack of adventure sports equipment in Kargil.
- In contrast to the violence seen in the Capital, farmers held peaceful rallies across the country to protest against the farm laws.
- India put on display its war machines at a time when the country is locked in a tense border stand-off with China.
- The chaos and violence have raised questions about the future of the two-month-long agitation of farm unions.
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in a letter sent to her Indian counterpart, conveyed her greetings.
- Tuesday's decision to operate all trains comes a day after a meeting to resume local train services for all passengers was chaired by Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray.
- Khattar said that unsavoury events on Tuesday deserved to be condemned in the strongest words.
- Governor RN Ravi said 'politics by gun' has stonewalled efforts to resolve the Naga political issue.
- No details were shared about the meeting, although a functionary said the party sees similarities in Tuesday’s protests with last year's anti-CAA agitation.