...
...
Next Story

Operation Sindoor: India hits 9 terror sites in Pak, PoK. What we know

Operation Sindoor: The defence ministry said India “demonstrated considerable restraint in selection of targets and method of execution”

Updated on: May 7, 2025, 03:23:41 IST
Advertisement

NEW DELHI: India’s defence ministry announced early on Wednesday that the armed forces had targeted nine sites in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) from where terrorist strikes were planned and directed in retaliation for the Pahalgam terror attack of April 22. Here’s what is known so far:

Indian statement

Operation Sindoor: A city view of Muzaffarabad in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir on May 7 (REUTERS)
Operation Sindoor: A city view of Muzaffarabad in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir on May 7 (REUTERS)

1 A statement issued by India’s defence ministry at 1:44am on Wednesday said the armed forces carried out precision strikes on terrorist infrastructure in Pakistan and PoK “from where terrorist attacks against India have been planned and directed”.

2. A total of nine sites were targeted under the action codenamed “Operation Sindoor” and India’s actions were “focused, measured and non-escalatory in nature”, the statement said without giving details of the targets.

3. No Pakistani military facilities were targeted and India “demonstrated considerable restraint in selection of targets and method of execution”, the statement said.

4. The strikes came in the wake of the “barbaric Pahalgam terrorist attack” that killed 25 Indians and a Nepali citizen. “We are living up to the commitment that those responsible for this attack will be held accountable,” the statement said.

6. Soon after, the Indian Army said in a social media post that Pakistan had again violated the ceasefire agreement by firing artillery in Bhimber Gali in Poonch- Rajauri area. Indian Army is responding appropriately in a calibrated manner, it said.

Pakistani reports

1. The chief spokesman of the Pakistani military’s media arm – Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) - was cited by state-run PTV as saying that India had struck three locations – Bahawalpur in Punjab province and Kotli and Muzaffarabad in PoK – “from air”.

2. “All planes of Pakistan Air Force are airborne. All strikes were made by India from its own airspace,” PTV reported.

3. “Pakistan will respond to it at a time and place of its own choosing. It will not go unanswered,” PTV reported.

4. Lt Gen Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry, the Pakistani military’s chief spokesman, was quoted by Geo News as saying that India had fired missiles at Bahawalpur, Kotli and Muzaffarabad.

5. “They [India] were never allowed to intrude into Pakistan’s airspace,” Lt Gen Chaudhry was quoted as saying by Geo News.

 
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Rezaul H Laskar

Rezaul Hasan Laskar is Foreign Editor with the Hindustan Times, which he joined in 2015. He began as a journalist in his hometown of Shillong in northeast India and has worked in newspapers and wire services over the years. He moved to New Delhi in 1997 and initially focused on defence, national security, Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast, while also working of foreign policy and international relations. He has been part of the media delegation accompanying PMs on foreign visits and has reported from destinations ranging from Tibet to Ukraine. Between 2007 and 2013, he was the Press Trust of India correspondent in Pakistan, one of only two Indian journalists allowed to report from the country. He extensively covered Pakistan’s domestic politics and the life of the common people, as well as the fallout of the 2008 Mumbai attacks on India-Pakistan relations and the subsequent trial in Pakistan of the suspects involved in the attack. As part of his reportage in Pakistan, he travelled the breadth of the country, from the Swat Valley to Balochistan. Reza’s first gig in journalism was writing a weekly music column, and music – especially classic rock – remains a keen interest. He is also a movie buff and a keen photographer.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh is Defence Editor at Hindustan Times and has covered military affairs and national security for nearly 25 years. Apart from extensive and deep reporting on the Indian military, including several newsbreaks that have set the national news agenda over the years, Rahul has reported from conflict zones including Jammu & Kashmir, India’s North-east and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Rahul has co-authored the bestselling 'India's Most Fearless' series of books on recent Indian military operations. Widely read and translated into multiple languages, the books place an emphasis on firsthand accounts of daring missions across the three services. His work has been adapted into web series and films including the National Award-winning Amaran. Rahul comes from an Army background and attended schools across the country before completing his education from Panjab University, Chandigarh. Grew up playing tennis, now mostly cheers from the sidelines. Works in Delhi, heart in the mountains.

Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
Get the latest India News, breaking headlines and real-time updates from across the country. Stay informed about politics, government policies, crime, weather major national developments and Karnataka Bandh LIVE.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Hindustantimes wants to start sending you push notifications. Click allow to subscribe