Pesticide found in temple prasad that claimed 14 lives: Karnataka Lab | Latest News India - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

Pesticide found in temple prasad that claimed 14 lives: Karnataka Lab

Hindustan Times, Bengaluru | By
Dec 18, 2018 12:06 AM IST

The consumption of the prasad (sanctified food) had resulted in the death of 14 people, with nearly 108 more still being treated for various symptoms across hospitals in Chamrajnagar and Mysuru districts of Karnataka.

Bengaluru Laboratory tests conducted on samples of the ‘prasad’ distributed at the Kichugutti Maramma temple at Sulwadi village in Chamrajnagar district of Karnataka have indicated the presence of Monocrotophos, a common pesticide, according to state government officials.

A crying boy being consoled by his grandmother after his mother died of suspected food poisoning at Bidarahalli, near Sulawadi village in Chamarajnagar district of Karnataka state, on Saturday. Police on Saturday arrested three people after at least 10 died of suspected food poisoning following a ceremony to celebrate the construction of a new temple.(PTI Photo)
A crying boy being consoled by his grandmother after his mother died of suspected food poisoning at Bidarahalli, near Sulawadi village in Chamarajnagar district of Karnataka state, on Saturday. Police on Saturday arrested three people after at least 10 died of suspected food poisoning following a ceremony to celebrate the construction of a new temple.(PTI Photo)

The consumption of the prasad (sanctified food) had resulted in the death of 14 people, with nearly 108 more still being treated for various symptoms across hospitals in Chamrajnagar and Mysuru districts of Karnataka.

HT launches Crick-it, a one stop destination to catch Cricket, anytime, anywhere. Explore now!

Inspector general of police (southern range), Sharat Chandra, said that the test conducted at Food Safety Lab has indicated the presence of Monocrotophos an organophosphate insecticide, the pesticide which is mixed with water and sprayed on plants to make them look healthy and green, and acutely toxic to humans. Five persons have been arrested so far.

It has been banned in the European Union, the US and several other countries, but not in India. Monocrotophos was believed to be responsible for the death of 23 school children in Saran district of Bihar in July 2013.

Discover the complete story of India's general elections on our exclusive Elections Product! Access all the content absolutely free on the HT App. Download now!

Get Current Updates on India News, Elections 2024, Election 2024 Date along with Latest News and Top Headlines from India and around the world.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, April 22, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On