PM Modi, UP CM Adityanath to lead International Yoga Day celebrations in Lucknow
The first International Yoga Day celebration was organised at Rajpath in New Delhi in 2015.india Updated: Jun 20, 2017 23:40 IST
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath will lead International Yoga Day celebrations on Wednesday morning with 51,000 participants, including dignitaries, politicians and bureaucrats, in Lucknow.
People in 195 countries will come together to celebrate India’s oldest fitness regimen on the summer solstice, which is the longest day in the year in the Northern Hemisphere. The participants will gather at Lucknow’s Ramabhai Ambedkar Sabha Sthal and begin yoga at 7am.
To mark the importance of yoga — which began in India about 5,000 years ago — Indian missions in the Netherlands, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United States, among other countries, will hold programmes on yoga, with participants from various sections of the society.
The first International Yoga Day celebration was organised at Rajpath in New Delhi in 2015.
4,463,794 people have pledged to make yoga a part of their daily life
100 yoga parks are planned within a year across the country
35,895 yogis came together to establish a Guinness record in New Delhi in 2015
62,000 people will participate at separate events across Delhi this time
Rs 25-30 cr is the Ayush ministry’s budget for Yoga Day celebrations this year
195 Indian missions abroad are participating
635 districts in the country will be covered by the Ayush ministry’s events
7-7.45 am is the starting time for the common yoga protocol
- Times Square: Free yoga class for New Yorkers
- Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur: 10,000 participants to take part in the largest-ever yoga session in that country
- Scarborough Town Centre, Toronto: Fitness giant Lululemon will offer four free yoga classes
- Changi Airport, Singapore: First Yoga Day celebration in that country is planned this year
- The Great Wall, China: Events have already kicked off starting Tuesday morning; multiple locations to host events on Wednesday
First Published: Jun 20, 2017 23:39 IST