'Shripad Naik is stable, will be shifted to Delhi if needed': Rajnath Singh
- Naik was involved in a car accident in Ankola town in Karnataka's Uttara Kannada district, around 50 kilometres south of the Goa border.
Union minister Shripad Naik successfully underwent four orthopaedic surgeries at the Goa Medical College and Hospital on Tuesday. A host of dignitaries including Vice President Venkaiah Naidu, Union defence minister Rajnath Singh and several state leaders called on Naik and prayed for his wellbeing on Tuesday.
Naik was involved in a car accident in Ankola town in Karnataka's Uttara Kannada district, around 50 kilometres south of the Goa border, suffering serious injuries while his wife Vijaya Naik who was travelling with him and a close aide succumbed to their injuries.
Defence minister Rajnath Singh flew tp Goa to inquire about the minister's health and called on him at the Goa Medical College and Hospital besides also visiting the family residence.
“His condition is stable according to doctors. They have said there is no danger. If proper treatment can be provided here, then he will be treated here itself. If need be, he will be shifted to Delhi. Everything will depend on doctors here,” Singh told reporters after a consultation with the team of doctors treating the Naik.
Singh also visited Naik’s private residence at Sao Pedro in Old Goa to condole the death of Vijaya Naik and offer his support to the family.
Goa chief minister Pramod Sawant cancelled all scheduled functions during the day and called on the minister. He shared that Naik is stable and recovering well.
Naik was shifted to the Goa Medical College and Hospital via an ambulance after preliminary treatment at a local hospital in Ankola.
Late last night, Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke with the Goa CM to inquire about the health of the minister and offered support should the minister be shifted to Delhi.
Naik, 68, has helmed the newly created ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Sidda and Homeopathy (AYUSH) and has been at the forefront of promoting indigenous systems of medicine. He is a senior leader in the Goa BJP besides being a five-time MP having continuously represented the North Goa constituency since 1999.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Uttarakhand's Urban Development Minister Madan Kaushik said green bonus was a major demand of the state for conserving about 71% of its total area.
- The CJI was candid to admit that those appointed to a committee were free to express their views on the subject on which they have been called to consider.
- The BKU said committee will tour US Nagar district to ensure farmers participation with their tractors in Delhi on Republic Day .
- The BJP leader said the Congress is not interested in resolving the issues pertaining to the farmers and Gandhi’s media address a day before the government and the farmers’ meet shows that the party does not want the talks to be successful.
- The rhino had moved out of the Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve on January 16 at Jakahalabandha area of Kaliabor.
- The glitches in the CoWIN application have affected the vaccination drive in Rajasthan. The second day of the inoculation program saw 11,288 health workers of the 68.7% of targeted beneficiaries, which works out to 5 percentage points less than the first day.
- Biotic interference in Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary has been significantly reduced, zonation has been done in terms of core and buffer zones and it has a duly notified eco-sensitive zone