2 killed, 11 injured after under-construction building collapses in Bengaluru
While rescue operations are ongoing, the authorities said they could not confirm how many more were trapped inside the debris.india Updated: Feb 15, 2018 23:14 IST
Two people died and 11 others were injured after a five-storey under-construction building collapsed on Thursday in Kasavanahalli in Bengaluru.
Bengaluru mayor Sampath Raj said doctors were called to the accident site, apart from fire department personnel and state disaster relief force.
Raj said the building collapsed because of weak foundation and action will be taken against the owner and the contractor, and added that permissions given for the building were being reviewed to ascertain if there was any illegality.
Police said at least five others could be trapped under the debris.
Rescue operations continue at the site where an under construction building collapsed. Officials say so far two have died and 11 have been rescued. More people feared to be trapped under debris. @htTweets pic.twitter.com/pfyombacFr— Vikram Gopal (@vikramgopal811) February 15, 2018
Deputy commissioner of police of Whitefield division, Abdul Ahad said the building belonged to one Rafique from HSR Layout.
“We are gathering more information. It (the building) was developed to accommodate paying guests but later the owner tried to convert it into a commercial building,” he said.
The construction had started six years ago but was stopped midway. The construction resumed six months ago, the deputy commissioner said.
(With PTI inputs)
First Published: Feb 15, 2018 19:50 IST