2 stadiums of global standards at Mumbai soon
As per the Maharashtra State government’s resolution, the state has already acquired plots of 2.7 acres in Andheri and 3.25 acres in Dharavi, reports Sanjeev Shivadekar.india Updated: Apr 07, 2007 16:10 IST
Having lost the opportunity to hold numerous international events due to lack of a state-of-art stadium in the state capital, Maharashtra Government has now decided to construct two multi-purpose stadiums — one in the suburb and the other in the island city — so that it does not miss out on future chances of hosting events even of the magnitude of a world cup and Olympics.
As per the Maharashtra State government’s resolution, the state has already acquired plots of 2.7 acres in Andheri and 3.25 acres in Dharavi — approximately 1/4th of the size of Shivaji Park ground situated in Central Mumbai — to construct stadiums.
“The administration is waiting for No-objection Certificate from Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) as the plot selected for construction of sport complex in island city falls under their jurisdiction,” said Deputy Director Sports for the Mumbai divison, N B Mote.
Welcoming the decision, former Indian hockey captain Dhanraj Pillai said, “The decision would add to the international status of Mumbai.” Without directly pin pointing at any sport in particular, Pillai insisted that “all sports should be treated equally and adequate infrastructure should be made available for every sports.”
Besides building stadiums of international standards, the state government has written letter to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) requesting them to provide land to a build sports complexes across the city. “There is proposal to build 24 sport complexes in every administrative ward of the civic body. This will give a big boost to the sports activities in Mumbai,” Mote added.
· The state government will spend Rs 4 crore each for the construction of two multi-purpose stadiums in Andheri and Dharavi.
· The government has acquired plots of 2.7 acres in Andheri and 3.25 acres in Dharavi for the purpose.
· Beside facilities for hosting sporting event, the stadiums will have sufficient parking place, dressing rooms and spectator galleries as per international norms.
· The stadiums will also have a swimming pool, volleyball and handball courts and indoor games’ facilities.
· There is also a proposal to construct 24 sport complexes in each administrative ward of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
First Published: Apr 07, 2007 05:14 IST