20 women activists held in Uttarakhand
Amid mounting protests against hydel projects on Bhagirathi river in Uttarakhand, twenty women social activists were held on Wednesday for allegedly trying to disrupt a rally of Chief Minister BC Khanduri in the hill town of Uttarkashi.
Police said the women activists, holding banners and black flags, barged into a public meeting, which was being addressed by Khanduri at Ramlila ground in Uttarkashi town.
They said they rounded up all the activists, who were shouting slogans against Khanduri and calling for ban on all the major hydel projects on the Bhagirathi, a move, which they claimed, would wipe out the identity of the holy river.
A top social activist GD Agarwal said he would stage a fast unto death from June 13 with other activists like Govindacharya, Rajendra Singh lending their support to the cause.
Meanwhile, Khanduri, who kicked off the civil works for the 480 MW Pala Maneri hydroelectric project on Bhagirathi, said he was ready to hold talks with social activists over the environmental issues.
He also said the power was the basic necessity of the state and his government would take all the steps to make Uttarakhand an energy state.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The aim is to provide a level-playing field in media and a platform to redress public grievances against digital media
- Razdan said she has lodged a complaint with the police and requested “immediate steps to identify, apprehend and prosecute perpetrators of this abominable attack".
- Srinivasan had been on several long bike tours and expeditions, travelling to 36 countries and several continents, including America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- While Hindi and English have been mostly used during the proceedings of the House, members preferring to speak in the 21 other scheduled Indian languages has increased to over five times per sitting in 2020 compared to the 14-year period between 2004-17.
- Cold wave or 'severe’ cold wave conditions are also very likely over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and east Madhya Pradesh during the next two days