A Tale of Twin Rejections and a New Romeo
First Yahoo rejected Microsoft's bid in a bid to increase the offer bid now big daddy Microsoft rejects Yahoo rejection. Ouch! so much rejection where is all the chemistry of love gone. Well the Yahoo Microsoft soap opera gets a new hero this Valentine in media mogul Rupert Murdoch. Murdroch's flirtation in the web space started a while ago and today Murdoch's News Corp is almost a giant owning properties such as social networking major
. Mudroch is believed to be wooing Yahoo and maybe even trying to ward off tech giant Microsoft's overtures.
The Yahoo Microsoft saga seems to be getting interesting by the day. Is Yahoo bargaining for more? Is Microsoft being stingy? Is Google finally going to wake up from its hypnotic spell? Can the likes of Mudroch really make a difference? There seem no clear answers.
Security Alert - Afilias and CERT-In Tieup
We are living in digital times plugged into the World Wide Web. One of the most crucial aspects of the web is the domain registry (the registry that registers domain names like.com, .in, amongst others) Entire brand, intellectual properties are built around this and it is perhaps a very important area. This week Afilias, one of the largest provider of registry services, announced a tie-up with Indian Computer Emergency Team (CERT-In). The agreement is for sharing critical information and resources to enhance cyber-security in India and worldwide, increase awareness of important security issues and to cooperate in emergency response to critical threats.
As part of the agreement between Cert-In and Afilias, the two organizations will form a joint committee and agree to share best practices related to security threats to improve security of the infrastructure of the Internet. In addition, both organizations have agreed to collaborate on emergency response initiatives to tackle emerging cyber-security problems, to take proactive measures that can help protect consumers, and to participate in joint education and outreach initiatives on key security issues.
Spanco Telesystems acquires Singapore firm
The Indian conquest of overseas firms continues. Spanco Telesystems, one of the leading telecom integration and back office services in India announced the acquisition of Great IT Private Ltd this week. Great IT owns exclusive rights to provide complete technology and IT infrastructure to Great Wheel Corporation. Spanco expects to generate revenues of more than $ 200 million in the next 6 to 7 years besides indirect revenues through various other opportunities, which will come up in the similar segment and in the countries of operation. Spanco in turn will invest around $ 40 million in the next 2 years.
Book your tickets on your phone
MakeMyTrip this week launched its m-commerce platform, which enables travelers to search, book, pay and receive their ticket on their mobile phone. There is no need of a printout even and the sms with the PNR no. Serves the purpose. Makemytrip claims this to be the first of its kind initiative in India.
India is currently witnessing an online travel boom estimated to be worth $ 6 billion by 2010. Low cost carriers, proliferation of the Internet and the growing acceptance of e-commerce over the last few years, are key factors that have contributed the emergence of this sector as a formidable force in the overall travel industry. With more mobile phone users than Internet this further boosts revenues and convenience for the traveler.
(Puneet Mehrotra writes on technology issues www.thebusinessedition.com)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The database uses Aadhaar-based data generated from key farm sector programmes such as PM-KISAN.
- Police data shows that some of the 522 passengers nabbed in last 5 years while carrying live bullets in their bags claimed they had done so unknowingly
- Private firms will likely claim that the law interferes with their constitutional rights to carry on trade freely
- From SC-ST social groups, reservations have expanded to OBCs, economically weaker sections
- The revenue in March may cross the record Rs.1,19,875 crore collected in January by at least Rs.10,000 crore.
- Officials said that an inquiry committee, constituted by the Visitor of Delhi University (DU), the President of India, held its final meeting.
- BJP MLAs supported the bill and called it a gift for women on the occasion of Women’s Day
- The technology requires telecoms companies to scrub messages to verify if the text being sent has been approved and it is only being sent to someone who has consented to receive such a message.
- Throughout the day, women protesters organised marches at the sites while wearing yellow, green scarves
- Responding to HT on Monday, CPWD denied all allegations that the waste from the Central Vista construction site was being dumped on the floodplains.
- Two women officers each have been assigned duties aboard INS Vikramaditya and INS Shakti.
- The fire had broken out at the 13th floor of the Eastern Railway’s office in the evening.
- The apex court framed this as one among the several questions to be decided while considering the constitutional validity of a 2018 Maharashtra law.