Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Air passenger dies at airport

Channai bound passenger was unwell for last eight months and was in Mumbai for treatment.

india Updated: Dec 24, 2006 21:38 IST

Another air passenger died at the Mumbai airport on early Sunday morning. This time it was a domestic passenger who was seriously unwell and was being taken back home to Chennai though found unfit to undertake the three hours flight. Including this case, six deaths of air passengers have been registered with airport police stations within last two months.

The passenger identified as Manikchand Jain (53) died at the airport lounge passably due a massive cardiac arrest. When Jain accompanied by his wife and son Chandra Prakash Jain arrived at the Mumbai airport on a wheel chair and even boarded Kingfisher Airlines’ “Red Eye Flight” called in aviation parlance, scheduled to depart for Chennai at 3 am, little did he know that he will have to breathe his last at the airport.

Though Jain, taken off a Mumbai hospital, was issued with a boarding pass for the IT 185 Channai via Bangalore flight and was even taken on board the flight he was soon off loaded from flight after the cabin crew and the commander pronounced him unfit to undertake the journey due to deteriorating health. The passenger suffering from hepatitis was already in a serious condition.

Kingfisher Airlines in a statement said, “We follow a very safe and humanitarian policy with regards to our guests. This particular guest was in a wheelchair and was taken to the aircraft and soon found to be unfit to undertake the journey. The guest was then off loaded and taken to the terminal building. The Airport Authority doctor and our doctors were summoned. Our doctor who arrived on the scene shortly after pronounced him dead.”

According to airport officials Jain was brought to the airport at around 2 am after his family got him discharged from a hospital where he was admitted recently. After being off loaded he was brought to the 1A terminal building of the domestic airport and doctors were summoned to examine his health. Meanwhile, his conditioned worsened and the airline doctor pronounced him dead at around 4 am. For the completion of death certificate formalities the health ministry doctor attached to the international terminal was called in.

Speaking to Hindustan Times, Police Inspector Madhukar Choudhury said that Jain was suffering from severe hepatitis and related liver problem for the past seven to eight months and was brought to Mumbai recently by his family for medical treatment. He was initially admitted at the Bombay Hospital and was later shifted to Jaslok Hospital but his complications were still continuing.

“Today morning he was going back home. He was issued with the boarding pass and then off loaded subsequently. At the airport lounge his condition became serious and he died. According to doctor’s certificate the cause of death is heart attack,” Choudhury said.

Though a case has been registered with the airport police, it is non serious in nature. Since the doctors issued the death certificate, Jain’s post mortem was not conducted in Mumbai and the body has been flown back to Chennai.

History of previous deaths

1)November 1

Qutabuddin Bangawala (68): Arrives at Mumbai airport by Virgin Atlantic flight, suffers heart attack, rushed to two hospitals from where he was turned away due to non availability of beds. Rushed to the third hospital which admits him but he was declared dead. Cause Cardiac failure.

2)November 4

Panna Ramesh Marfatia (58): Travelling alone from London by British Airways flight she was taken ill on board the flight. She complained to the cabin crew of uneasiness and cramps in her legs. She was immediately administered oxygen and her feet were raised to ensure proper blood flow but she died before the aircraft landed in Mumbai. Cause deep vain thrombosis and subsequent cardiac failure.

3)November 4

Ramanand Shamra (75): Already a stretches case he was travelling along with his son by Air India flight from Nairobi to Mumbai. Air India accepted him to take on board after he furnished a no objection certificate. On board the flight he suffered a massive heart attack and died. Cause heart attack.

4)November 19

George Neumann (64): A citizen of the US, Neumann was travelling business class alone by Delta Air Lines’ New York- Mumbai non stop flight. After landing at the Mumbai he was taken ill while completing immigration formalities at the Mumbai airport. Since the airport doctor could not revive him, he was rushed to the Holy Spirit Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival. Though the postmortem report is still awaited Neumann is believed to have died due to a massive heart attack.

5)December 21

Clement D’Cruz (47): Travelling alone by the Air India Newark flight to Mumbai he was going to his home town in Chennai. He collapsed in the waiting lounge at 8 am after completing his long haul flight. Possible cause of death is cardiac arrest.

First Published: Dec 24, 2006 21:38 IST