Aussies wrap up series win against Pak
Glenn McGrath demolished Pakistan's batsmen to steer Australia to a 31-run win in the second one-day final at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday and clinch the best-of-three series 2-0.
McGrath ripped through the Pakistan top-order then mopped up the tail to finish with figures of five for 27 as the tourists collapsed to be all out for 208 in the 46th over.
"We haven't played anywhere near our best but we've still managed to win thanks to some outstanding bowling from our fast bowlers in particular," Australia captain Ricky Ponting told a news conference.
"We've been in hard, tough fights and we've managed to scrape through without being at our best — that's the sign of a very, good side."
Needing to win the match to force a series decider after their 18-run loss in Melbourne on Friday, the Pakistanis bowled and fielded tightly to restrict Australia to 239 for nine before their batting let them down again.
"I think we bowled very well in the last two games but we didn't take our opportunities," Pakistan skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq said.
"The Australian tour is always very tough, they play their cricket hard. We didn't play well in the tests but we were better in the one-dayers so hopefully our guys will have learnt a lot from this."
Pakistan made a bright start to their reply, surviving the first eight overs without loss when the wheels suddenly fell off.
Opener Taufeeq Umar skied a catch off man of the series Brett Lee to McGrath in the outfield then McGrath, named man of the match, made more inroads with the ball.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- With today’s vaccination, the President joins the ranks of statesmen and politicians who have gotten vaccinated since the second phase of vaccination started on March 1.
- The Chief Minister appealed to all eligible people to come forward and get themselves vaccinated.
- The amendment also empowers the Central government to auction mines, which the states have failed to auction. Of the 143 such mines listed for auctioning, states have auctioned only 7 since 2015, the amendment said.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
- A Guntur district official said the two hillocks were located at a distance of a one-and-a-half kilometre.