Batla House row: BJP protests, accuses Cong of propagating false claims
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday protested in front of Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s New Delhi residence over the party’s statement on Batla House encounter.india Updated: May 30, 2016 13:14 IST
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday protested in front of Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s New Delhi residence over the party’s statement on Batla House encounter.
Protestors accused Congress leaders of propagating falsehoods in connection with the Batla House case.
“Congress and especially Sonia Gandhi have always been double-faced. When the Batla encounter took place, the Congress leader said that the encounter...was fake,” BJP leader Satish Upadhyay told ANI.
The Batla House encounter took place in September 2008 in Jamia Nagar in the national capital. Two suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorists and a police officer were killed in the incident.
“Today the main accused of the Batla house encounter is being seen in an ISIS (Islamic State) video, in which he says that he has come from Batla House and will destroy India,” he added. “So this demonstration is against those who have brewed and nurtured terrorism in the nation.”
Another BJP leader said Congress, by dubbing the encounter as fake, not only projected the facts wrongly but also insulted martyrs such as Mohan Chand Sharma, the police inspector killed in the encounter.
“Whatever happened during the Batla House encounter was projected wrongly. The Congress party should feel ashamed of propagating such false sentiments. The Congress insulted our martyr and hailed the terrorist by saying that the encounter was fake,” said a BJP worker.
Last week, Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh stoked controversy after he dubbed the 2008 Batla House encounter as fake and asked the Centre to order a judicial probe into the matter.
“The Batla House encounter was fake,” said Singh. “I dare the BJP to go for a judicial probe. I still stand by my remarks on the encounter. I don’t know who is Bada Sajid or Chhota Sajid.”
Mohammed Sajid aka Bada Sajid, one of six people in the 22-minute video allegedly released by the IS, was one of the terrorists claimed to have been killed in the encounter. The case, which took place during the UPA tenure, returned to the limelight after the suspected IS operative claimed that he had fled Batla House right before the police raid.