BCCI talks big, does little for home cricket
THE BOARD of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) may be the richest cricket board of the world, but has probably the poorest track record when it comes to sticking to its financial commitments.india Updated: Nov 21, 2006 17:09 IST
THE BOARD of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) may be the richest cricket board of the world, but has probably the poorest track record when it comes to sticking to its financial commitments.
The new BCCI regime had promised a considerable hike in match fees to domestic cricketers from the 2004-05 season onwards. Though the amount assurred was paid for the 2004-05 season, the BCCI is yet to pay full dues for the 2005-06 season.
Before 2004-05, each state cricketer was paid Rs 4,000 per day as match allowance. In January this year, however, it was announced that an additional Rs 50,000 would be paid retrospectively per match for the 2004-05 season. "For the 2005-06 season, the daily allowance will be Rs 20,000 per match day," the BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah had told the Hindustan Times.
However, it has now been verified that, though the BCCI fulfilled its promise for the 2004-05 season, it reverted to paying only Rs 4,000 per day for the past season.
BCCI Chief Administrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty told HT on Monday that the balance amount for last year would be paid after the accounts are ratified. "Now that the AGM is over, the accounts will be ratified and the remaining amount paid," he said. However, the players would only be paid Rs 66,000 and not the promised Rs 80,000 (for each four day match).
In 2005-06, the BCCI earned five times more than the Rs 199 crore which it had earned during Dalmiya’s regime in 2004-05. But thanks to a new policy the BCCI this year, which states that 70 per cent of the amount it gets from the television rights, its main source of money, has to be distributed among its affiliated units and only the remaining 30 per cent will be treated as its annual revenue, its income is less than before.
First Published: Nov 21, 2006 17:09 IST