New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Aug 25, 2019-Sunday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Monday, Aug 26, 2019

Chelsea advances to League Cup final

Shevchenko and Lampard each score twice as Chelsea routed Wycombe 4-0 for a place in the final of the English League Cup.

india Updated: Jan 24, 2007 12:14 IST
Associated Press
Associated Press

Andriy Shevchenko and Frank Lampard each scored twice and Chelsea routed Wycombe 4-0 for a place in the final of the English League Cup.

Shevchenko hadn't scored in his 10 previous appearances for Chelsea, and had reportedly fallen out with manager Jose Mourinho, partly because of his friendship with owner Roman Abramovich. Mourinho was also said to be on poor terms with Abramovich.

The Ukraine striker scored in the 22nd and 43rd minutes in the second leg of the semi-final at Stamford Bridge, following a 1-1 draw at League Two club Wycombe. He also set up Lampard in the 69th, and the England midfielder scored his second goal in the 90th.

Chelsea will face the winner of the Tottenham-Arsenal semi-final. The final is on February 25 at Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.

In the Premier League, substitute Jay DeMerit scored the winner for bottom club Watford in a 2-1 victory over Blackburn.

Luton advanced to the fourth round of the FA Cup with a 1-0 win over Queens Park Rangers in a third-round replay.

Shevchenko's first goal came when he intercepted a pass from Wycombe's Tommy Doherty and ran through to score past goalkeeper Ricardo Batista. He then volleyed in a goal from a cross from Didier Drogba for his eighth of the season.

Lampard took a Shevchenko cross to score his first, then netted in injury time after taking a pass from Drogba.

Chelsea was again without captain John Terry, but the central defender has returned to full training after recovering from leg and back injuries.

"I still need to improve it and it's been taking longer than we thought," Terry said. "But I am delighted to be back involved with the lads."

Watford took a 1-0 lead in the 12th minute when Brett Emerton headed past his own goalkeeper, Brad Friedel, when trying to clear a cross. Benni McCarthy levelled the scores in the 45th before DeMerit headed in his second goal of the season.

Luton's win over Queens Park Rangers came when Zeshan Rehman scored an own-goal in the 80th minute. QPR midfielder Stefan Bailey was sent off in the 74th for a tackle on Luton midfielder Ahmet Brkovic, who had to be carried off on a stretcher.

First Published: Jan 24, 2007 12:14 IST

more from india