China phone users cross 1.1 billion
The number of phone users in China continued to grow rapidly with addition of 40.8 million new customers in the first five months of the year, surpassing 1.1 billion by the end of May.
"China added 40.8 million phone users during the January-May period, bringing the nationwide total to more than 1.1 billion in a country with a 1.3 billion population," the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) said on Tuesday.
"During the period, fixed-line telephone users dropped about 7.8 million to 306 million while mobile phone users jumped 48.5 million to 796 million, Xinhua news agency reported.
The number of Chinese broad-band Internet users however jumped nearly 9.8 million to 113 million by the end of May.
The telecommunications industry recorded about 1.23 trillion yuan ($181 billion) of business in the five-month period which was, up by 21.6 per cent year on year, it said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Iranian embassy said it "strongly repudiates any unsubstantiated allegations or irresponsible comments in this regard and considers them as steps towards realising the sinister intentions of the enemies of Iran-India relations”.
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration during a verification drive on Saturday sent 169 illegal immigrant Rohingyas to a ‘holding centre’ after they were found without valid travel documents.
- The report said that closing of schools, economic stress, parental deaths and pregnancies due to the coronavirus pandemic could increase the risk of child marriage.
- On Monday, Odisha reported 668 large forest fires.
- The 13th floor houses the accounts office of the Eastern Railways.