Chinese trains for first route of Mumbai Metro
The first metro rail corridor project in the city is beginning to move forward with a Chinese company bagging the Rs 604 crore contract to supply 16 trains.
The 11.4-km Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar corridor is set to be operational by 2010-end.
Mumbai Metro One, the special purpose vehicle formed to undertake construction, has selected CSR Nanjing Puzhen Rolling Stock Company -- a 100-year-old subsidiary of the government-owned China South Locomotive and Rolling Stock Corporation.
Officials say the first four-coach train will be rolled out within 18 months and all 16 trains in the next two years.
The contract for first metro line was awarded to a consortium lead by Reliance Energy. Mumbai Metro One hopes to finish the project in less than three years.
CSR Nanjing Puzhen has been manufacturing metro rail cars since 2000 and has supplied light rail vehicles to MRT Hong Kong. It is currently manufacturing electric multiple unit trains for Georgia to run at 130 km per hour.
Nearly 450 metro cars supplied by CSR Nanjing are running across the world with about 750 more under manufacture and delivery.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The CJI was candid to admit that persons appointed to a Committee were free to express their views on the subject on which they have been called to consider.
- The BKU said committee will tour US Nagar district to ensure farmers participation with their tractors in Delhi on Republic Day .
- The BJP leader said the Congress is not interested in resolving the issues pertaining to the farmers and Gandhi’s media address a day before the government and the farmers’ meet shows that the party does not want the talks to be successful.
- The rhino had moved out of the Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve on January 16 at Jakahalabandha area of Kaliabor.
- The glitches in the CoWIN application have affected the vaccination drive in Rajasthan. The second day of the inoculation program saw 11,288 health workers of the 68.7% of targeted beneficiaries, which works out to 5 percentage points less than the first day.
- Biotic interference in Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary has been significantly reduced, zonation has been done in terms of core and buffer zones and it has a duly notified eco-sensitive zone