Coal scam: CBI may file 2 charge sheets by Friday
The CBI is likely to submit by Friday just two more charge sheets, not five as per a Supreme Court directive, in its probe into alleged irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks to private firms during 2006-09.Updated: Mar 27, 2014 02:02 IST
The CBI is likely to submit by Friday just two more charge sheets, not five as per a Supreme Court directive, in its probe into alleged irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks to private firms during 2006-09.
The agency is likely to seek more time from the apex court to file the rest, said a CBI source. "We will file may be two charge sheets by March 28. We need more time to go into certain aspects to file the other three chargesheets, so will request for time from the court," said the source. During its last hearing on March 10, the apex court had asked the CBI to file five chargesheets by March 28, declining to grant four weeks sought by the agency for the purpose.
"The two charge sheets will be submitted in a Delhi court against firms accused of misrepresenting facts on basic eligibility criteria," said the source. The agency will also inform the apex court on Friday about Prime Minister's advisor TKA Nair's statement.
The agency has so far filed one chargesheet.
In it, the CBI charged Hyderabad-based Navabharat Power Private Limited (NPPL) and two of its top officials with misleading the government to bag two coal blocks in Odisha in 2008, but could not identify the complicity of any bureaucrat in the irregularities.
First Published: Mar 27, 2014 01:01 IST