Compensate Nandigram victims: HC
The Calcutta HC directs the CBI to submit a report on the March 14 Nandigram police firing within a month.india Updated: Nov 16, 2007 19:07 IST
The Calcutta High Court on Friday directed the CBI to continue the inquiry into March 14 Nandigram police firing and violence and submit a report within a month.
A division bench comprising Chief Justic SS Nijjar and Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghosh, while delivering the order, said the police action on the day was not justifiable before the court.
The court also said the state government should give compensation package to those killed, injured, raped and molested at Nandigram on March 14.
It said that a compensation of no less than Rs 10 lakh be given to the next of kin of those killed, not less than Rs 5 lakh for those injured, not less than Rs eight lakh for those raped and not less than Rs two lakh for those molested.
After the March 14 incident, the chief justice had suo moto initiated a case and asked the CBI to probe the police firing and violence and submit a report within a week. Since then 10 more PILs were filed and the hearing on them completed in July.
The state government had filed an affidavit in the court justifying the police firing in Nandigram. After filing it, the government had ordered an administrative inquiry into the Nandigram incident by the Divisional Commissioner of Burdwan.
Asked about the High Court order on compensation, Home Secretary PR Roy said "the government has to abide by the court order on compensation."
When told that the court had dismissed the state government's arguments on the police firing, he said, "we have not received a copy of the order."
The state government on November eight had announced compensation of Rs two lakh for the next of kin of the 14 killed and ruled out compensation for the injured.