Cop killed, 4 injured in militant attack in Sopore
One policeman was killed and four others were injured in north Kashmir's Sopore area in the wee hours on Saturday.
According to police sources, stone pelting started in parts of Sopore, 55 km north of Srinagar, around 2am when devotees were coming out of mosques after nightlong prayers on the occasion of Shabi Qadir.
"Around 2:30 am militants threw a grenade and fired at a police party near main chowk at Sopore when miscreants were pelting stones on police," police spokesperson told HT.
"One constable M Syed died while two out of five injured were referred to Srinagar hospital," said the spokesman.
Preliminary reports suggest an explosion was heard during the clashes and several rounds of live ammunition were fired.
The incident took place at Chota Bazaar area of Sopore.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The scheme aims at reduction in livelihood vulnerabilities of the urban poor including migrant labourers and informal workers.
- Presently, over 5,000 cases are pending with the Tribunal of which the bulk of matters arise out of proceedings under PMLA.
- Gandhi is on a tour of the western belt where he will next visit Erode, Tiruppur, Karur and Dindigul districts to meet farmers, weavers and youngsters.
- This Goa-Agra-Delhi flight was earlier expected to begin on January 16 but was rescheduled for January 23. The plane halted for 35 minutes and then flew for Delhi at 12.15 pm with four passengers.
- Jammu and Kashmir government on Friday had lifted the ban on the import of the poultry and poultry products.