Doctor dismisses report on Castro's condition
Media reports that Cuban leader Fidel Castro's condition had declined due to complications have been dismissed by a Spanish doctor as rumours.Updated: Jan 18, 2007 10:42 IST
Media reports that Cuban leader Fidel Castro's condition had declined due to complications have been dismissed by a Spanish doctor as rumours.
Jose Luis Garcia Sabrido, who examined Castro in December, told CCN television on Wednesday that Castro's health was undergoing a progressive improvement.
He dismissed a report by Spanish newspaper El Pais that said Castro suffered a severe intestinal infection and three failed operations.
The doctor acknowledged Castro had had operations and complications, but said the rest of the report was groundless. Garcia Sabrido examined Castro last month in Havana, after which he said the leader was undergoing a steady recovery and ruled out cancer.
Castro has been absent from Cuba's politics since July when he underwent operations, giving rise to speculation that the 80-year-old leader may bow out of the Caribbean country's political landscape.
His younger brother Raul Castro has been appointed to take charge.
First Published: Jan 18, 2007 10:42 IST