Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 17, 2018-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ex-employee held for killing shopowner in Delhi

Yogesh Sharma, a former employee of the shopowner, was fed up with his gay boss, reports Tushar Srivastava.

india Updated: Oct 29, 2006 06:22 IST

Delhi police claim to have solved the sensational murder of Sunder Lal Jain, a trader who was found dead bearing over 70 stab wounds at his Chandni Chowk shop on June 25.

Police have arrested Yogesh Sharma, a former employee of Jain, and his friend Shri Bhagwan, claiming that they conspired together to kill Jain.

During the course of interrogation, Sharma disclosed that Jain made sexual overtures towards him. Jain kept calling Sharma to his shop on Sundays, when the market used to be closed, on the pretext of maintaining accounts even after Sharma had left the job.

"Sharma had planned to kill Jain and roped in his friend, Bhagwan. Sharma took Bhagwan with him to Jain. Jain asked them to come to first floor where they stabbed and killed him," said DCP (north), Sunil Garg. They had also taken away Rs 3.5 lakh that were in the shop at that time.

"Investigation revealed that one Yogesh Sharma, 20, had worked for few days at Jain's shop and had been in regular touch with him even after leaving the job. It was further revealed that on the day of incident and a day before it, Jain had called Sharma a number of times," Garg said

Sharma was found missing from his house in Narela. The absence of his friend, Shri Bhagwan, residing in the same area, also came to light. Raids were conducted in Chandigarh, Shimla, Manali, Jammu, Vaishno Devi, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Nainital, Bihar and other places. "The accused were found to have left the places before police reached there," Garg said.

The police managed to identify Sharma's girlfriend, living in northeast Delhi. Surveillance revealed that she had been regularly calling a Kolkata number. Inquiries about the recipient revealed that she was calling a house where two men were staying under the names of Mann and Rahul.

A police team was sent to Kolkata to check whether the two men were the same persons who were missing from Delhi. It was established that the two were Sharma and Bhagwan. They had taken a house on rent and were running a video games parlour," Garg said. The two were arrested on Friday and brought to Delhi.

The two, the police said, had led a lavish lifestyle and travelled by air during the last two months. Sharma had flown to Delhi to meet his girlfriend and had taken her to Kolkata. Police recovered some cash, hotel bills, air tickets, a laptop and mobile phones from the accused.

Email Tushar Srivastav:

First Published: Oct 29, 2006 06:22 IST