Five shops gutted, nine injured in Aizawl fire
Police said that the fire might be caused by short circuit or burning charcoal used to warm the shops by traders in the chilling cold.india Updated: Dec 20, 2005 22:17 IST
Nine persons were injured as a major fire broke out at the main market in the Mizoram capitalon Mondaynight, fire brigade sources said on Tuesday.
Five shops were damaged in the blaze and goods worth Rs 50 lakh destroyed, the sources said.
The fire was put off after two-hour effort by fire brigade personnel.
Police said that the fire might be caused by electric short circuit or burning charcoal used to warm the shops by traders in the chilling cold.
Of the nine people injured, eight were discharged after being given first aid while one person was admitted to the Civil hospitalunder observation.
Fire service officials, aided by local people, could manage to put out the fire after a two-hour effort.
First Published: Dec 20, 2005 19:33 IST