Goa MLA faces murder charges
A case of attempt to murder was registered against Taleigao MLA Anatasio Monserratte on Wednesday, police said.
The MLA, who was detained by Panaji police last night was formally arrested this morning along with CCP (Corporation of the City of Panaji) Mayor Tony Rodrigues.
Police have also detained Monseratte's wife Jennifer and son Amit after a mob, led by him, attacked Panaji police station last night.
Fifteen policemen were injured in the attack, officials said.
The mob, led by Monseratte, had gathered at the police station after two rival gangs from Taleigao clashed last evening, following which police arrested two persons acting upon a complaint.
The mob, demanding release of the two accused, turned violent when the police refused free the duo.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- On February 23, a Maoist camp was destroyed and an ambush against security forces was foiled by police in Gadchiroli district.
- Centre releases 2020 ‘Ease of Living Index’, experts cite women safety, transportation to explain outcome
- A single-phase election to 234 assembly seats is scheduled for April 6 in Tamil Nadu.
- The protesting farmers will block the six-lane Western Peripheral Expressway, also known as Kundli–Manesar–Palwal (KMP) Expressway for five hours, from 11 am to till 4 pm, Samyukta Kisan Morcha (SKM) announced on Wednesday.
- Former Goa CM and BJP stalwart Manohar Parrikar's son Utpal admitted he was breaking ranks with the party but stopped short of saying he was rebelling.