Goa MLA faces murder charges
A case of attempt to murder was registered against Taleigao MLA Anatasio Monserratte on Wednesday, police said.
The MLA, who was detained by Panaji police on Tuesday night was formally arrested along with CCP (Corporation of the City of Panaji) Mayor Tony Rodrigues.
Police have also detained Monseratte's wife Jennifer and son Amit after a mob, led by him, attacked Panaji police station last night.
Fifteen policemen were injured in the attack, officials said.
The mob, led by Monseratte, had gathered at the police station after two rival gangs from Taleigao clashed last evening, following which police arrested two persons acting upon a complaint.
The mob, demanding release of the two accused, turned violent when the police refused free the duo.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A statement form the Rajasthan Chief Minister's Office cited rising Covid-19 cases in the neighbouring states for the decision to insist on negative Covid reports for visitors.
- The woman who suspected foul play, checked the accused's Facebook account and found out that he was regularly chatting with another woman, who turned out to be his wife.
- It was the second Maoist attack in the last two days in Chhattisgarh.
- A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) asked the petitioner's lawyer to compile a list of similarly placed officers of the Indian armed forces still languishing in Pakistani jails.
- The order was issued after hearing an injunction suit filed by Ramesh Jarkiholi’s lawyers on Wednesday. The suit had named 68 media houses, channels and others.
- High Commissioner Alex Ellis also said more debates on the farmers' protest should be expected around the world as India takes on a greater role on the global stage