Gorkhas reject WB Govt's offer for talks
West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee’s proposed all-party meeting on June 17 to discuss the demand for a separate Gorkhaland state might end in a fiasco with Gorkha Janmukti Morcha leader Bimal Gurung rejecting the CM’s offer of separate talks with him the following day.
Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee has expressed reservations about holding the meeting.
On the GJM rejecting his invitation, Bhattacharjee said tersely, “Wait and see what happens finally.” He has kept the issue of revising his stand on inviting the GJM to the all-party meet wide open.
In New Delhi, the AICC endorsed the state Congress stand against any division of West Bengal and hoped the all-party meeting called by the CM would find a solution to the Gorkhaland issue.
In a letter to Gurung on Friday, Bhattacharjee said he would be happy if Gurung and his colleagues could come to Kolkata on June 18 to discuss “measures needed to restore normalcy and speed up execution of development work in the hills and related subjects”.
The GJM has maintained it would hold talks with the state only if its demand for a separate Gorkha state is accepted.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- All ten vaccination centres across the city sported colourful curtains and were decorated with flowers. Some centres at BYL Nair hospital and Covid-19 jumbo centre at Bandra Kurla Complex also placed selfie spots with ‘I got my Covid-19 vaccine’ message in the backdrop.
- In its response, BKU-Lokshakti through its advocate AP Singh told the Court that the Delhi Police application was unnecessary as Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code is already in place in central Delhi which restricts gathering of five or more persons.
- The health ministry on Saturday said that close to 200,000 people were vaccinated on Day 1 of the drive.
- The Santacruz station of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) recorded a minimum temperature of 16.6 degrees Celsius, a degree below normal. This is the second lowest minimum temperature recorded this season following a mercury drop to 16 degrees Celsius on December 22 last year.
- The DoPT is the nodal ministry for the CBI and any administrative action against Class-I gazetted officers (DSPs) is approved by it while the CBI Director has powers to suspend Inspectors and below rank officers.
- The CM said that policies have been simplified and they would be further eased to help those wanting to contribute to Bihar’s progress in different ways.
- Billed as Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest festival, IFFI is being held in Goa since 2004. This year the festival will open with the Indian premiere of the movie ‘Another Round’ by Thomas Vinterberg.