Govt running out of time on OBC quota
Armed with the backing of states, the Centre is set to move the SC to get the stay on the reservation vacated.india Updated: Apr 15, 2007 15:55 IST
Armed with the backing of states on the OBC quota issue, the Centre is likely to move the Supreme Court on Sunday with a plea to modify and vacate its order staying the 27 per cent reservation for OBCs in elite educational institutions from the coming academic year.
Sources said the application in this regard has been completed and was vetted by ministries concerned after parleys held by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh with leaders of the UPA and its allies as well as the opposition, including the BJP.
The application is likely to reiterate the government's stand on reservation issue, including the need to provide for reservation to the creamy layer among OBCs.
A meeting of state education ministers convened by Human Resource Development Minister Arjun Singh last week also saw states coming out in strong support of ensuring the quota being made applicable from this academic session.
Solicitor General Ghoolam E Vahanvati will lead the arguments on the ticklish matter along with Additional Solicitor General Gopal Subramanian, the sources said.
The government has to act fast since the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) have set April 21 as the deadline for announcing their final selection list for admissions in the coming academic session.
The apex court had on March 29 stayed the controversial provision in the Central legislation enabling a 27 per cent quota for OBCs, holding that data based on a 76-year-old census could not be the determining factor for affirmative action.
First Published: Apr 15, 2007 11:41 IST