Govt view and figures
Govt figures and views on the militancy in the Northeast.india Updated: Oct 17, 2005 22:39 IST
Following are the figures and views on the militancy in the Northeast.
(Killings in Northeast(1996-Sept 2004)
|Year||No of people killed|
|2004||250 (Sept 2004)|
|Source:||Armed Conflict Report 2004|
So called reasons
• Never a part of India before annexation by the British.
• Discrimination within the country.
• Lack of cultural integration with the rest of the country.
• Under-development & economic backwardness.
• Influx of ‘foreigners’.
Do these stand?
• Part of Indian History and Civilisation.
• Important contribution to the freedom movement.
• Constitutional protection.
• Significant contribution to economy, society and culture in independent India.
• Two languages of the North East among 18 national languages (Eighth Schedule to the Constitution).
• A number of awards in the fields of arts/literature/cinema/social service/etc.- • highest civilian award ‘Bharat Ratna’ conferred on Late Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi.
• Highest per capita Central Assistance in the country.
• Largest number of Institutions established by the Central Government.
There is Hope
• Mizo Accord – peace in Mizoram.
• Assam Accord – under implementation – towards normalcy.
• Talks/negotiations with NSCN.
• 5th National Games held successfully – Imphal – first time in the North East.
• Militancy - no ideology - basically criminal activities of extortion and kidnappings.
• People fed up with violence.
• Multi-pronged Govt efforts continue successfully