HC admits case against anti-extortion squad
The Bombay HC admits a petition seeking independent enquiry into an encounter in which a boy was killed by anti-extortion Squad of Mumbai police.Updated: Apr 08, 2008 19:53 IST
The Bombay High Court on Tuesday admitted a petition seeking independent enquiry into an encounter at suburban Powai last December in which a 17-year-old boy was killed by Anti-extortion Squad of Mumbai police.
The encounter, that took place on December 14 last year, was carried out by team led by `encounter specialist' Vijay Salaskar.
Admitting the petition, Justice Bilal Nazki said to the counsel for police Shirish Gupte, "You can't concede these powers (to kill a person) to police...Otherwise tomorrow such power can be used against you or me."
Gupte opposed the petition, saying that police had fired in self-defence, and hang-grenades had been recovered from the two alleged gangsters.
According to police, the two persons who were killed in retaliatory firing were members of Bunty Pandey gang, who were planning to kill an NCP corporator.
But according to petitioner Irfan Shaikh, whose 17-year-old son Imran was one of the two slain persons, Imran had no criminal record, and he was absolutely innocent.
Shaikh filed petition in High Court, seeking an independent inquiry and action against police officers.
Till date no case has been registered against the police officers involved in the encounter, said his lawyer Mihir Desai. Case would come up for hearing on July 24.
The other person was killed in the encounter was Ram Bahadur Sahani. A stolen Maruti Car, a country made 9 mm pistol and a revolver from the spot.