Home Minister P. Chidambaram ‘proud’ of the trial
Home Minister P. Chidambaram said he was proud of the system in India, which ensured November 26, 2008 gunman, Ajmal Kasab, was tried in a normal criminal court in a fair, transparent trial.
“We did not create a Guantanamo Bay. We did not create a military court,” Chidambaram said in Parliament on Thursday.
He also said that Kasab was not convicted on the basis of his confession. “He was convicted on the basis of evidence, oral and technical evidence,” he said.
Minister of External Affairs S.M. Krishna said the judge had come to the most “appropriate conclusion”. “It is a message to anyone who wants to wage war against India,” Krishna said.
Law Minister Veerappa Moily said, “If something more could have been done (in terms of sentencing) it would have been welcome…Pakistan can’t meddle with lives and property in India.”
Chidambaram said the prosecution will appeal against the acquittal of two Indians accused, Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed.
He also said that Kasab’s conviction came without an anti-terror law, indicating that present laws were adequate.
Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley expressed disappointment because several accused in the case living in Pakistan and US and the two countries were not cooperating much.
Pune case cracked?
Chidambaram told Parliament that the country’s terror fighting machinery, especially intelligence infrastructure had been ramped up. “There was no intelligence failure” even in the Pune terror attack — the only one since 26/11. He said the owners of German Bakery had been given three separate warnings but these were taken lightly.
“The ATS in Maharashtra has been able to crack the Pune blast case. We should apprehend them (the perpetrators) in two or three days.”