HT is Amity hero, hurray!
Principal Secretary to the Governor Luv Verma played the ‘quiz master’, while Inspector General of Police Kashmir Singh played the coach as he ‘batted’ for the two teams who only moments earlier were locked in a fierce tussle for the ‘Amity Cup’ at the LDA Stadium, Aliganj, on Saturday.
Journos who rarely get to make news created a history of sorts here when curtains came down on the 11-day Amity Cup for media cricket which, saw as many as 12 media teams participating. By popular opinion, this was the best ever organised media cricket tournament, which saw participating teams battling it out in coloured clothes—a first in a media tournament.
The kind of planning that went in making the tournament a success was mind-boggling and the results were there for all to see. Toshali Resorts came ahead to sponsor the Man of the Series prize, which included a week’s free stay for the prize-winner at Shimla.
The other prizes were no less attractive with Lucknow Sports Journalists Association (LSJA) and Amity University ensuring a foolproof tournament that saw several former Ranji players also appreciating the show.
Hindustan Times emerged the winner as the opponents discovered that in this part of India, Times haven’t changed. They were defeated comprehensively by HT for the fourth time in a row. “Attractive commentary, regular attendance by VVIPs, a fantastic ground and even more fascinating contests surely made this tournament something to cherish,” the spectators felt. And there were no disputers. There was perfect Amity, after all!
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The revenue in March may cross the record Rs.1,19,875 crore collected in January by at least Rs.10,000 crore.
- Officials said that an inquiry committee, constituted by the Visitor of Delhi University (DU), the President of India, held its final meeting.
- BJP MLAs supported the bill and called it a gift for women on the occasion of Women’s Day
- The technology requires telecoms companies to scrub messages to verify if the text being sent has been approved and it is only being sent to someone who has consented to receive such a message.
- Throughout the day, women protesters organised marches at the sites while wearing yellow, green scarves
- Responding to HT on Monday, CPWD denied all allegations that the waste from the Central Vista construction site was being dumped on the floodplains.
- Two women officers each have been assigned duties aboard INS Vikramaditya and INS Shakti.
- The fire had broken out at the 13th floor of the Eastern Railway’s office in the evening.
- The apex court framed this as one among the several questions to be decided while considering the constitutional validity of a 2018 Maharashtra law.
- The tragedy reportedly took place when an excavator was digging a drain near the boundary wall of the school.
- The Iranian embassy said it "strongly repudiates any unsubstantiated allegations or irresponsible comments in this regard and considers them as steps towards realising the sinister intentions of the enemies of Iran-India relations”.
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration during a verification drive on Saturday sent 169 illegal immigrant Rohingyas to a ‘holding centre’ after they were found without valid travel documents.