Hunt on for survivors as Manipur quake death toll rises
Teams from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) were engaged in clearing the debris and looking for survivors trapped under rubble in the worst-hit Tamenglong district, epicentre of the quake, while another is on standby in Silchar, Assam.Updated: Jan 06, 2016 01:19 IST
A day after a powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake claimed eight lives and left at least 106 injured in Manipur and its neighbouring states, relief and rescue operations were in full swing even as the National Crisis Management Committee met to review the situation.
Of the eight deaths, four were reported from Imphal West, two each from Imphal East and Senapati districts.
Teams from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) were engaged in clearing the debris and looking for survivors trapped under rubble in the worst-hit Tamenglong district, epicentre of the quake, while another is on standby in Silchar, Assam.
Teams inspected three extensively damaged sites of Luwangsangbam, Kabo Leikai and the iconic ‘Ima market’in Imphal on Tuesday. “So far, there is no report of anyone being trapped inside the damage sites,” deputy commander of 65 member NDRF team Marud Pandey said.
A team has been dispatched to the hill district of Tamenglong’s Noney, located close to the epicentre of Monday’s quake.
According to the State Relief and Disaster Management department, 339 buildings have been damaged across Manipur.
To ensure “physical safety… in view of the earthquake and likely recurrence in immediate future” the state government ordered week-long closure of all educational institutions. General holiday was also declared for all government departments, excluding essential services, on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The state machinery has identified school buildings that did not suffer damage for setting up temporary hospitals, while essential medicines and kits have been dispatched to all district headquarters. The state government has directed all government and private hospitals to reserve beds for earthquake victims.
“Twenty-four-seven control rooms have been set up in all districts for receiving feedback,” said secretary SRDM department Jason A Shimray. “We are also expecting district-wise assessment report by Wednesday.”
Earlier, the state government had declared ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each for the families of deceased.