IIM-B opts for virtual campus
With the Ministry of Human Resource Development clearing its stand on allowing Indian Institutes of Management to go global, several IIMs are set to put forth their proposals before HRD Minister Arjun Singh at a meeting on February 1.
The move was set in motion by IIM Bangalore that decided to amend its Memorandum of Association (MoA) on Friday at a meeting of its board of governors.
IIM-B Director Prakash G Apte said in Bangalore that the MoA signed in 1973, when the institute was established, did not include a clause about expanding its activities outside the country.
But there appears to be a climbdown on the part of IIM Bangalore as Apte said they would open a ‘virtual campus’ for executives in Singapore. Earlier, IIM Bangalore was eager to have a physical campus in Singapore.
According to official sources, IIM Bangalore is not alone to go global with virtual campuses. IIM Kolkata also plans to have a virtual campus for executives in Dubai and other Middle-East countries where the presence of Indian executives is high.
IIM Ahmedabad is looking for options abroad. Some Saarc countries are believed to have asked the IIMs to start short and mid duration courses for company executives. The IIMs have been asked to come with plans for open virtual campus in other countries at the February 1 meeting.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.