India put up brave front, focus on spin
The most interesting statement made in the past fortnight is that the South Africans aren't bothered about spin. It came from a group of fans who had gathered around their team during a practice session.
It pointed to the mental scars the hosts had inflicted on the Indians with their pace. So, it was a surprise when the India spinners had a long bowl at their batsmen, and even more surprising was after they had finished, Virat Kohli addressed the local trainees and called for a spinner from among them. Well, there was no one. So, what were the Indians thinking?
News from the hosts suggests Imran Tahir could get a look-in. Probably as Jacques Kallis give them an additional pace option, South Africa may look to add variety. Although Tahir has a good record at the Wanderers in domestic cricket, but considering the way he was taken to the cleaners against Australia when the Proteas toured there, he could be easy meat for the India batsmen.
Irrespective of his selection, one thing is clear. The hosts are relying on pace to unnerve the batsmen. As Morne Morkel pointed out, "Doesn't matter, who we play against. Top of the off-stump and the odd bouncer is still the winning combination. That's what we need to concentrate on."
Perhaps the India batsmen, particularly Virat, may have wanted to prove that facing pace is the last thing on India's minds.
Mind games have begun, perhaps.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.
- The tribal fair draws devotees not only from Telangana, but also from other states like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The notice released by the state government stated “All passengers coming to West Bengal from the aforementioned 4 states shall mandatorily carry a covid negative RT-PCR report for such test conducted within 72 hours of flight departure.”
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.
- The research says the average compensation paid for human death in the country is ₹1,91,437, and the average compensation paid for injury is ₹6,185.