India still the world's BPO hub
India has successfully fought off competition from new and emerging outsourcing regions such as the Philippines, South Africa, East Europe and Latin America to retain its position as the world's BPO hub, shows data released by Nasscom.
While the emerging regions focus on voice-based work (essentially call centre jobs), India has graduated to data analytics, accountancy, finance and other domain-specific work. It continues to have a 36% market share in global off-shoring work.Global BPO firms, such as Genpact, WNS and EXLService, and others with delivery centres all across the world told HT they have engineers, management graduates, accountants, PhD scholars and lawyers from premier institutes working on high-end outsourcing work in India.
"Globally, the term outsourcing is often associated only with call centre work. This is incorrect. Apart from voice-based work, outsourcing includes several higher end jobs that require specialised knowledge," said Keshav Murugesh, group CEO of WNS.
Murugesh said around 75% of WNS's hirings take place in India. Other players, such as Genpact, EXLService and the BPO arms of Infosys, TCS and HCL Tech, say their India-hiring remains strong.
Rohit Kapoor, CEO of EXLService, said some of his firm's best domain experts are from prestigious institutions, such as the IIMs.
According to Nasscom, the number of people employed directly in India's BPO sector grew by 17% from 2009-10 and 2011-12 to 8,76,000.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The ADG has constituted teams of police personnel from Aligarh to assist the Hathras police.
- The incident took place on Sunday afternoon, when the girl went to a wheat field, owned by the family of the accused, to collect fodder and water.
- The provisions under the new rules relate to the code of ethics for digital news publishers, setting up of a grievance redressal system and the requirement of disclosure of information to Centre, the ministry said.
- The instrument will support the 3.6 metre Devasthal Optical Telescope (DOT) in Uttarakhand, an official release from the department of science said on Wednesday.
- Lt-Gen BS Raju said a quiet LoC will allow us to address the challenge of terrorism in a focused manner.
- The central agency has registered a case on the basis of an FIR registered by Chennai Economic Offences Wing in September last year.
- Dhyani added that the burden on the ecology due to construction on Himalayan slopes made the region prone to disasters.
- Navlakha claimed in his petition filed through advocate Shadan Farasat that the 90-day period for filing of charge sheet was over and he was entitled to default bail under Section 167(2) of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).
- Lama was being considered as the GJM candidate for the Kalimpong assembly seat in the coming polls later this month.
- Unhappy with the response, the bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde asked Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to appear in the case along with Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Vikramjeet Banerjee, who presented the note to the Court.
- The officer withdrew his request after an orthopaedic surgeon said his purpose would not be served by buying a horse.