J&K awarded for improved infrastructure
Jammmu and Kashmir has been awarded the best improved infrastructure award by a private media house, India Today.
Roads and buildings commissioner secretary Tanveer Jahan and Economic Reconstruction Agency chief executive officer Tahseen Mustafa received the award presented by union minister for rural development Jairam Ramesh.
The award comes in recognition of a slew of infrastructure projects that were launched by chief minister Omar Abdullah in various sectors ranging from roads, irrigation, agriculture, water-supply, rural and urban development, bridges, hydroelectric power, horticulture, health and education.
The state has launched power-projects with a potential of adding 1,750MWto the state's power pool.
Abdullah, while welcoming the award, said that this award recognises the performance of the NC-Congress coalition government in ushering Jammu and Kashmir into a corrective era of growth, economic self-reliance and prosperity, and the efforts of the government to bring the state at par with the most developed states in India.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Giving two weeks to the government to come back with its response, the bench then formally recorded in its order that one of the issues that has caught its attention is “uncontrolled and unscreened viewing of films” on Amazon Prime Video and other OTT platforms.
- The roughly 20,000 centres being used for the vaccine drive at the moment are hospitals, private as well as public, while many primary and secondary health centres at present are kept out of the programme.
- The external affairs ministry, which too rejected Freedom House’s report, also took exception to the depiction of Jammu and Kashmir in the map used in the document.
- A home ministry spokesperson said these rules prepared by the Foreigners’ Division were part of a brochure issued on November 15, 2019. The rules were consolidated and notified on Thursday.
- After the allegations on Jarkiholi, there were unverified reports of several similar videos and other sex scandals against other cabinet ministers.
- India is a signatory to the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- On the other hand, the DMK’s stalemate continued with its main and long standing ally, the Congress, on seat sharing.
- The person said it was imperative that the photographs are removed from certificates distributed in the poll bound states, adding that the system can continue in other states.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, former President Pratibha Patil, economist Amartya Sen, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, spiritual leader Baba Ramdev, chief ministers of states and senior political leaders are among those included in the panel.
- According to Indian agencies, the JeI has maintained that J&K is a disputed territory.
- Interestingly, the election of the six YSRC members comes at a time when a resolution adopted by the Jagan Mohan Reddy government in the state assembly in January 2020, seeking abolition of the legislative council, is still pending with the Union home ministry.
- When the matter came up before a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy on Friday, the bench adjourned it to April 7 as it had no time for a full fledged hearing.
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also held a review meeting on Friday to discuss with the divisional commissioners the steps being taken to contain the spread of the infection.
- There is a cost difference of about 25-30 per cent in containers made in India and abroad.
- After an agreement last month on pulling back frontline troops along with armoured vehicles and artillery from strategic heights around Pangong Lake, the two sides have been unable to make progress on disengagement at other friction points such as Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra.