Jeevan’s wife says innocent
Pooja, wife of prime accused Dr Amit’s brother Dr Jeevan, said on Wednesday the police had failed to nail those who were behind the entire episode. Her statement coincided with the one given by Dr Upender, who also had reportedly told Moradabad police that a number of bigwigs including politicians were connected to kingpin Dr Amit.
Pooja, in 7-day police custody of Gurgaon police, was produced in a local court. The court remanded her in judicial custody for 14 days. Before being produced in court, Pooja underwent a medical test at the Civil Hospital. Pooja, talking to HT, said police had not been able to catch the bigwigs and had arrested people like her who had had no connection with the racket.
While claiming innocence, Pooja disclosed the police did not ask her even a single question nor was she taken to any place during the seven-day remand. “It means that the police also know that I am innocent and have nothing to disclose. But they have arrested me as they could not find the real culprits. I have been in the garments business with my father for over 10 years and has nothing to do with my husband’s business,” she added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.
- The tribal fair draws devotees not only from Telangana, but also from other states like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The notice released by the state government stated “All passengers coming to West Bengal from the aforementioned 4 states shall mandatorily carry a covid negative RT-PCR report for such test conducted within 72 hours of flight departure.”
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.