Bullet-proof jacket, baton in hand: When Kanhaiya turned cop briefly
Delhi police had to resort to sneaking JNU Students’ Union president Kanhaiya Kumar, disguised in riot police gear, out of Patiala House court on February 17 when a mob of lawyers attacked the student leader on his way in to court.
Kumar was dressed in battle fatigues, a bullet-proof jacket and a helmet that made him look like a member of the anti-riot cell to make sure a violent mob of lawyers failed to spot him.
Police decided to use the disguise after at least 200 lawyers assembled near the courtroom and at the exit gates to stop them from escorting Kumar out of the court premises.
An emergency meeting was called at the police headquarters wherein senior officers agreed to the exit plan. Several sets of anti-riot gears were brought to the courtroom. Fifty policemen were dressed in the gear, while Kumar was also fitted with a baton and a police helmet with a visor to cover his face.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sixty-three-year-old Sasikala who also suffers from hypertension, diabetes and hypothyroidism was admitted to hospital with cough and fever.
- The Legislative Council chairman has asked the principal secretary to submit a report on the issue within seven days after a Congress member objected to the installation of Savarkar’s portrait in the Council picture gallery.
- A magisterial inquiry has been ordered in the matter, said the collector. Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also expressed his condolence after hearing about the accident.
- Police have not registered any case in this regard and said that they will record the women's statement on Thursday before launching an investigation.
- The Biden administration has signalled that it sees China as the main challenge and that it will work to enhance the partnership with India, including working together to ensure an open and secure Indo-Pacific.
- The police filed the charge sheet in the case on December 16, 2020 and charges were framed on December 24, 2020