Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 21, 2018-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kale kachhewale strike in Kharar village

The gang battered to death a dairy farmer besides leaving his wife seriously injured before decamping with cash and valuables, reports Nitin Jain.

india Updated: Jun 16, 2007 21:22 IST
Nitin Jain

The notorious kale kachhewale gang struck at Daon village on the outskirts of SAS Nagar in Kharar on Saturday wee hours and battered to death a dairy farmer besides leaving his wife seriously injured before decamping with cash and valuables.

The gangsters were so cruel that after beating the couple with batons and wooden logs, they snatched the golden earrings and nose pin from the woman’s ears and nose while leaving them badly injured.

The victim has been identified as Harmesh Chand, in his mid-forties, while his wife Krishna Devi (40) was still in a state of trauma. Fortunately, the couple’s son Sanjeev Kumar (20) and his young wife Kulwinder Kaur were sleeping away from their house, following which they escaped the brutal attack.

Victim’s son Sanjeev Kumar told Hindustan Times that as per her mother’s statement, around 12.30 am, a group of miscreants, clad in black colour kachhas (shorts) and vests, equipped with batons and wooden logs, attacked the couple, who was sleeping in the courtyard.

Four-five clean-shaven assailants, in their mid-twenties and interacting in Punjabi, tied the arms of the sleeping couple with dupatta and parna (cloth piece tied on head) and started beating them mercilessly with batons and wooden logs.

“When my mother offered them to take away whatever they had, they snatched her earrings and nose pin before rummaging our house for valuables,” recollected Sanjeev, while stating that the robbers took away two iron safe boxes, which they abandoned 300 meters away after robbing a golden necklace, two rings, earrings, his wristwatch and Rs 3,000 cash.

“Before leaving, the gangsters also strangled my father and believed that my parents had died,” told Sanjeev. However, Krishna managed to loose open her tied arms and then loosened Harmesh before approaching Sanjeev and Kulwinder, who were sleeping at a distance of almost 100 meters.

After being awaken, Sanjeev picked up his stick and tried to chase the robbers but his parents caught hold of him, fearing danger.

However, on way to SAS Nagar Civil Hospital, Harmesh died.

SAS Nagar SP (Headquarter) Harinderjit Singh Sidhu, who along with Kharar DSP Joginder Singh and SAS Nagar DSP (Detective) Swaran Singh, was camping on the spot, told HT that 15 suspected persons were rounded-up but later released after nothing substantial came against them during questioning.

First Published: Jun 16, 2007 21:07 IST