Korea held to a surprise 2-2 draw

Unfancied South Africa rallied twice from behind to spring a surprise 2-2 draw against Asian Games gold medallist South Korea.

india Updated: Sep 11, 2006 03:02 IST

Unfancied South Africa rallied twice from behind to spring a surprise 2-2 draw against Asian Games gold medallist South Korea in the Hockey World cup Monchengladbach.

The draw halted Korea's victory run and they now have seven points from three outings while South Africa has two from three.

The victory would have virtually assured South Korea a place in the semi finals but South Africa denied them that assurance.

Korea plays India tomorrow, which will be the fourth league match for both the teams. For Korea, who led 1-0 at half time, Jong Hyun Jang (21st) and Hyo Sik Yoo (51st) scored a goal each, while for South Africa Lungile Tsolekile (49th) and Wayne Madsen (59th) scored a goal apiece.

The Koreans were let down by the overconfidence. They did not show the same intensity which they had displayed in previous two matches against Holland and England.

South Africans played an all out attacking game. They knew that they have nothing at stake, and thus went flat out on aggressive mode from the start.

The Koreans looked sluggish as their rivals held on to the ball for long stretches and that put Asian champion's defense under pressure.

Some good moves by the Africans rattled the Koreans as their goal survived in the 14th minute when Thornton McDade 's top of the circle

diagonal shot beat the goal keeper but defender Jong Hyun Jang managed to clear it.

The Korean after being under pressure for a long time regrouped themselves and launched a counter attack which fetched them a penalty corner. Jong Hyun Jang put the ball in the cage with a powerful right flick(1-0).

The Koreans could have increased the lead soon after the breather but Sung Kweon Hong's reverse flick just went over.

The Asian champions kept the pressure but failed to make any more dent in the rival citadel and against the run of play, Africans drew parity when Lungile Tsolekile deflected a loose ball home. The Korean protested but the Video Umpire declared it a goal (1-1).

A couple of minutes later Koreans again took the lead when Sung Hoon Yoon sent a cross to Hyo sik Yoo who sent the ball home (2-1).

The African fought back spiritedly and surprised their rivals with a 59 minute equalizer through Wayne Madsen (2-2) and after that both the teams failed to penetrate other's defense.

First Published: Sep 11, 2006 03:02 IST