Life paralysed in Darjeeling hills
Normal life in the three hill sub-divisions of Darjeeling district was paralysed on Tuesday as Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) enforced a second spell of indefinite bandh in the area to press for its demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland.
Shops, markets, business establishments, banks and post offices were closed and vehicles remained off the roads after the bandh resumed from 6 pm on Monday after a five-day break.
The National highway 31A linking Sikkim's capital Gangtok with Siliguri passing through Kalimpong sub-division was blocked by GJM activists, virtually cutting off the Himalayan state from the rest of the country, officials said.
All state and central Government office also remained closed and the heritage Toy Train, a major tourist attraction, did not run. However, there were reports of normal work in tea gardens and schools and collages as these were kept outside the purview of the bandh.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Uttarakhand's Urban Development Minister Madan Kaushik said green bonus was a major demand of the state for conserving about 71% of its total area.
- The CJI was candid to admit that those appointed to a committee were free to express their views on the subject on which they have been called to consider.
- The BKU said committee will tour US Nagar district to ensure farmers participation with their tractors in Delhi on Republic Day .
- The BJP leader said the Congress is not interested in resolving the issues pertaining to the farmers and Gandhi’s media address a day before the government and the farmers’ meet shows that the party does not want the talks to be successful.
- The rhino had moved out of the Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve on January 16 at Jakahalabandha area of Kaliabor.
- The glitches in the CoWIN application have affected the vaccination drive in Rajasthan. The second day of the inoculation program saw 11,288 health workers of the 68.7% of targeted beneficiaries, which works out to 5 percentage points less than the first day.
- Biotic interference in Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary has been significantly reduced, zonation has been done in terms of core and buffer zones and it has a duly notified eco-sensitive zone