Lose a cellphone, have it blocked
Stealing of telephone handsets may soon become history. The telecom regulator, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) will soon come out with recommendations on blocking lost and stolen mobiles.
The regulator has floated a consultation paper on this issue and has received comments from various stakeholders.Once implemented, it is expected that this step will discourage the theft of handsets.
“Infrastructure similar to that for stopping pesky calls needs to be in place,” said a Trai official. “Trai will come out with recommendations on ways to block lost or theft mobile phones using International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number within a month.”
IMEI is a unique serial number that identifies the handset. It is stored in the equipment identity register (EIR) database of the service provider.
At present, there is no mechanism in place to block a mobile phone in case it is lost. The telecom service providers can only block the SIM card.
“Though there are chances that people will come out with some techniques to change the IMEI, theft of phones will stop drastically,” the official said.
Trai had attempted something similar in 2004, but number of telcos did not have the capability to track handsets.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Even though the case was posted for February 4, the court heard the case on Wednesday based on the request of the former Tamil Nadu CM's family.
- An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde said that all endeavours should be made to ensure appointments come through in a time-bound manner.
- The TMC, however, has hit back calling it the height of hypocrisy and refuting the charges as baseless allegations.
- Leaders of the Samyukt Kisan Morcha, the platform of farm unions leading the protests, on Wednesday apologised for the violent events in Delhi that have dented the credibility of the movement.
- Singh and Pompili will preside over the signing of a letter of intent between the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) and the French Development Agency (AFD) for developing a floating solar plant of up to 150 MW.
- Mamata Banerjee has recently appointed coordinators for the five assembly constituencies in East Midnapore district, the home turf of former TMC stalwart Suvendu Adhikari who joined the BJP on December 19.
- As part of the strategy, the Andhra Pradesh government on Tuesday issued an order announcing hefty cash incentives to be given to gram panchayats where sarpanches and ward members are elected unanimously without any contest.
- The defence ministry said Rajnath Singh received an "introductory telephone call" from the newly-appointed US Secretary of Defence Austin and that the two leaders reaffirmed their commitment to work together to strengthen defence cooperation and the strategic partnership between the two countries.