Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 16, 2018-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

NRI mother follows daughter's suicide

Satwant Sodhi threw herself in front of a train after her daughter and two grandchildren died last year.

india Updated: Feb 23, 2006 11:13 IST

Seven months after a Southall-based woman of Indian origin committed suicide by throwing herself along with her two children before a moving train, her mother killed herself at the same spot this week.

In August last year, Navjeet Sidhu, 27, threw herself into the path of the Heathrow Express at the Southall station while holding her toddler son and five-year-old daughter.

Earlier this week, her heartbroken mother, Satwant Kaur Sodhi, stood on the tracks at the station as a train approached at 95 mph. The driver saw her facing his train, standing in the middle of the tracks but was unable to stop in time.

A close family friend told the Evening Standard that Sodhi repeatedly returned to the scene where her daughter had earlier committed suicide. The friend said: "Mrs Sodhi was always at the train station. We would see her just standing there, staring and crying - she was in an awful state.

"She would have to be pulled away and taken home. On this occasion, I suppose she felt like she couldn't take the pain any more. She had been severely depressed.

"She lived for those kids and her daughter. They were very close. Mrs. Sodhi's husband had left when Navjeet was very young so it was just the two of them. She lived for Navjeet and her two grandchildren and was absolutely lost when they died.

"All she kept saying was 'I've got no one now, I'm all alone'. She just felt life wasn't worth living without them."

Sodhi, who lived near the station, was one of the first at the scene after Navjeet jumped in front of the Heathrow Express with 23-month-old son Aman Raj and daughter Simran.

At the time, she released a statement saying: "Losing them will leave a void that will never be filled." Reports say that there were claims that Navjeet was unhappy in her arranged marriage to husband Manjit, a 32-year-old Post Office worker.

Manjit is now reportedly in India where he lived before marrying his wife, who had worked as a secretary for Sunrise Radio, the Asian community station.

A friend of the family told the Standard: "He just disappeared around a month or so after what happened. He seemed distraught and I suppose there were too many painful memories here for him."

First Published: Feb 23, 2006 11:13 IST