On last row, he did not say a word

Updated on Feb 10, 2008 01:35 AM IST

Dr Amit Kumar, the main accused in the kidney racket case, landed at the IGI airport at 6.25 pm on Saturday, report Vijaita Singh and Avishek G Dastidar.

HT Image
HT Image
Hindustan Times | ByVijaita Singh and Avishek G Dastidar, New Delhi

Air India flight IC 814 from Kathmandu landed at the IGI airport at 6.25 pm on Saturday. On board was Dr Amit Kumar, the main accused in the kidney racket case that was unearthed in Gurgaon two weeks ago.

Later, Kumar was brought to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) headquarters at the CGO Complex in south Delhi.

Wearing black trousers, a brown leather jacket, and flanked by two CBI officers on both sides, Kumar alighted from the aircraft. His face was covered with a black muffler. To avoid the media at Terminal-II, the CBI whisked away Kumar through the airport's back-exit near an Air India parking bay, around half-a-km away from the main exit, where a posse of policemen were deployed to contain the media frenzy.

Passengers in the flight from Kathmandu said Kumar "looked nervous and did not utter a word" during the 90-minute flight. "He sat in the middle seat in the last row with two officers on both sides holding his hands at all times. All three were wearing black coats, and thus looking identical," said Manoj Mittal, a passenger. "Incidentally, I was reading a newspaper which had his picture, so I recognised him," he said.

"Minutes before de-boarding, he took off the coat and wore a brown jacket. He was also made to cover his face with a black muffler," said Satish Malhotra, another passenger.

Authorities in Nepal, where he was arrested two days ago, deported Kumar following a plea by the CBI, which took over the case on Saturday, that charges framed against him in India were far more serious than the ones in Nepal. The Nepal authorities were to try Kumar for violation of the Foreign Exchange Act since he was found possessing a huge amount of counterfeit euros, dollars and rupees at the time of arrest.

From the airport, Kumar was rushed to the CBI headquarters at around 7.45 pm. Kumar looked rather relaxed outside the CBI headquarters, as media went into a frenzy to grab a shot or a quick byte. Kumar was taken to the interrogation room of the CBI's Economic Offences Wing, which is probing the case. Sources said the CBI was not likely to interrogate Kumar at night but would produce him before the court of a Duty Magistrate on Sunday. "We will seek a 14-day remand," he said.

Jeevan Kumar, Amit's younger brother who is another key accused, is still at large.

Close Story
Story Saved
Saved Articles
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, August 19, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now