Pak was informed about nuke deal: US
Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns firmly rebuffed Islamabad's complaints on Indo-US nuclear deal.Updated: Mar 23, 2006 14:09 IST
Firmly rebuffing Islamabad's complaints on Indo-US nuclear deal, the US has said Pakistan was kept "very fully" informed as negotiations in this regard progressed, and asserted the accord will cause no arms race in South Asia.
"We did keep the Pakistani government fully informed of what we were doing over the last year in negotiating this civil nuclear agreement with India," Under Secretary for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns said here on Wednesday.
Expressing confidence that US will continue to see improvement in Indo-Pak ties, he said "we will not see the kind of arms race that some of the critics are now forecasting."
He said as a friend of both neighbours, the US was in a position to assess that as a "reasonable prospect for the future."
Burns said that in January, six weeks before President George W Bush's visit to the region, he had briefed the Pakistani government on the nuclear agreement.
On Monday, Pakistan had said it would not accept any "discrimination" in supply of nuclear technology and argued that Washington should have worked out a "package deal" for South Asia to ensure stability in the region.
But Burns maintained that the US has had a "full" discussion with Pakistani authorities.
"We've kept them informed in general on these negotiations for the better part of the year, so this didn't come as a surprise to the Pakistani government," he said at Foreign Press Centre here.
First Published: Mar 23, 2006 13:20 IST