Priyanka is Sonia's poll agent
Congress President Sonia Gandhi has appointed her daughter Priyanka Vadra as her election agent for the May 8 Lok Sabha by election, a battle in which Congress bigwigs have kept away from campaigning.
The appointment of Priyanka, who was her election agent even in the 2004 general elections, conforms to the practice of the Gandhi family keeping the campaign generally restricted to local Congress leaders and the family.
Rahul Gandhi, MP from the neighbouring Amethi Lok Sabha constituency, is the campaign manager in the current election. He has already been touring the length and breadth of Rae Bareli, considered the pocket borough of the Gandhi-Nehru family, which she described as her 'karma bhoomi'.
Sonia has made the by-election a prestige fight by declaring that it would prove where the Opposition stood.
She had won the 2004 election by a margin of over 2.4 lakh votes and the party claims that it would be bettered this time.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Dozens of Rohingya are in a makeshift "holding centre" at Jammu's Hira Nagar jail after local authorities conducted biometric and other tests on hundreds of people to verify their identities.
- The 10-member team will commence the journey from the misty mountains of Arunachal Pradesh at Bomdila and will then enter Bhutan.
- In a letter to the Cubbon Park police station, Dinesh Kalahalli said that the complaint had taken a sinister turn wherein the character of the alleged victim was being questioned.
- The police headquarters took action after a picture of the man walking with his son's decomposed body in a plastic bag was widely shared on social media.
- Omar Abdullah chided BJP's Suvendu Adhikari who was quoted a saying the "Bengal will become like Kashmir" if the Trinamool Congress returns to power in the assembly election.